Sunday, November 8, 2009

Dry Cleaners Under New Management

* * * * *

After all today's errands were behind me, I stopped for a coffee to review my TO DO list and realized I'm surrounded by Asian folk this weekend. The pharmacist this morning was Asian. Tomorrow I'll spend some time with Susie Lee at the salon (Vietnamese - but I can mimic her accent perfectly).
And then - new owners at my dry cleaners. And I had just become comfortable and friendly with the former Asian owners - dam.

This gentleman, I could tell, was going to be work: I approached the counter, dropped the big bag and put the smaller bag on the counter and pulled out five items. He starred at the items.
I said: "one jacket, 2 pants, 2 tops".

He repeated the last: "top? new rangwege - what top?"

Hmmm: "blouse?"

"Whaaa?"

"Brouse" I say. "ohhhh, brouse"....sez he: two!

Ok: 1 chaket, 2 pans and 2 brouse. Me: "YES, THAT'S IT. GOOD"

He: and compahtoo.

Me: what?

He: 1 chaket, 2 pans and 2 brouse and compahtoo.

Me. I'm sorry. I don't understand the last word.

He: c o m m p a h h h t o o o.

Me. Well, that's slower but I'm still unsure....

He: (points to the big bag I originally planted on the floor at the side of the counter): compahtoo.

Me: Well, absolutely. Of Course. Silly Me.

C O M F O R T E R: COMPAHTOO


I can't wait to see Susie tomorrow: "HERRO, KANDISS, WANT BOTTO WATTAH? HOW YOU?

Fine Susie...and yourself?

* * * * *