Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Still Remains True...and Murphy's Law

* * * * *




A month ago, a client (and friend) writes that her office is having an evening get-together at a local restaurant and includes my office staff in the invitation.

A month ago that sounded like a wonderful idea, so I immediately responded that I would attend.

Two weeks ago, she sends a 2nd notice reminding 200+ people of the event. I make sure the event was in my day planner (i don't own a blackberry), my social calendar, my office calendar in my office and the work calendar on our intranet. Everything is covered.

Yesterday, she sends a reminder that the event is today at 6 pm. I again, forward her e-mail to everyone in my office. I know the two people who were going to attend with me are now not attending and I will be the only representative from our little company.

I still think this is a great idea. I've already talked to other clients from her company and I'm looking to seeing them this evening.

Ding! 3:00 p.m. The bricks fall. The earth turns to quicksand. The sleepies hit. It's 3:30 p.m. and I can barely keep my eyes open. My eyes burn. And then a good'ol headache sets in. I feel like .... bluuchkh. I want to go get prone on something comfortable and pull a blankie over my head as is sinks into a moosh pillow. yawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnn.

It's 4:00pm....my office pal reminds me it's time to leave to go pick up my pups from doggie daycare so I can get home - feed - let them out a few times and get to the event. Yawwwwnn. ok.

The 'duties and details' get me to about 40 minutes before I need to freshen up and leave. I set a kitchen timer, take it to the bedside table and employ paragraph 6 above. (...this feels sooooo good....they won't miss me......they'll barely know I'm missing.....zzzzz). The kitchen buzzer blasts like we need the military to rise and shine! Geez!

"oh, just go. freshen face, brush teeth, get in the dam car and just go". ok.

I give. Mom was right. "Any event to which you've responded you would attend, you must attend...and it'll be like church: it's hell getting there but once you get thru it, you're glad you went". It was true of this evening. It was great to see my special friends who make times like these great memories.

Regrets? Yep. I ALWAYS tell picture stories. And wouldn't you know: the event is over - I have no pictures. I intended to have pictures. The camera is always in my purse - I had it tonight. And because I did, I totally forgot it. Murphy's law. Ratz!

So..dear friends and cool people in my life - I'm REEEALLLY glad to have spent some precious, fun time with you this evening. Thank you for sharing your time with me!

Ending the meal with 4-berry pie and ice cream...wow!
AND..Death by Chocolate cake.....sigh.....yummo!

* * * * *